Modern dishwashers are time- and labor-savers. But just like every other home appliance, regular maintenance is needed to ensure its cleanliness and cleaning ability.
Over time, bits of food, water minerals, grease, and even undissolved detergent buildup on the dishwasher’s filter and interior walls. It would look and smell unpleasant, and gunk can also leave spots on your dinnerware, flatware, and glassware.
If you leave your dishwasher in this condition, it can damage the dishwasher’s pump and filter, resulting in expensive repairs. We’ve got these top 5 techniques for you who are asking, “How do we properly clean a dishwasher?”
Technique #1: Clean the Door
Not only do fingerprints make any surface look dirty and grimy, but they also stand out – in the worst possible way – on what should be expensive-looking stainless steel appliances.
Wiping the door with some warm water will do, but you can level it up by making your own homemade dishwasher cleaner. Do this by mixing 1/4 cup baking soda with 1-quart water. For tricky fingerprints and smudges, wipe them away with a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a soft, dry cloth.
Don’t forget to clean the dishwasher door’s insides as well, especially the top and sides.
- Dip a small toothbrush in hot, soapy water, and scrub around the door.
- Make sure you dig into the rubber seal grooves and any other crevices, including the hinges. Gentle scrubbing with an abrasive cleanser may be necessary if there is a lot of buildups.
- Wipe up the resulting grime with a household sponge dipped in hot soapy water.
- Wipe away any cleaning solution left behind with a clean, wet sponge.
Technique #2 Remove bits of food from the tub.
Before cleaning the tub, use paper towels to remove any debris from the base. You may find most of it around the drain. This technique must be a habit to remove any remaining bits of food after each dishwashing cycle.
Technique #3 Run an empty dishwasher cycle
Run a cycle without any dishes inside to clean the dishwasher thoroughly. Several DIY dishwasher cleansers, but placing a cup of plain white vinegar on the top rack will do the trick. Using the hottest water, run a full cycle to fully disinfect the unit.
Technique #4 Remove + rinse the filter
If the filter isn’t clean, nothing else will be. Check your user manual about how to unlock and remove the filter.
With a damp cloth, sponge, or soft toothbrush, scrub the mesh screen and plastic frame. Doing this will remove any grease stuck in the crevices.
Once it’s just like new, lock it back into place.
Technique #5 Don’t Forget to Check for Rust Stains
This technique will depend upon your water source and your pipes’ state, but if you see mineral or rust stains inside your dishwasher, act on them immediately.
- Find a product to remove rust stains (for clothing or appliances)
- Place it in the soap dispenser cup and sprinkle some on the bottom.
- Run the empty dishwasher through a complete cleaning cycle.
You will most likely need to repeat this process regularly. Just take care of any existing problems at their source.
Extra: Check your clogs regularly
Clogs may develop in the drain and spray arm. Check the holes every so often to make sure that they are not clogged with any food residue. Don’t forget to check the trap and drain to ensure nothing is blocking the area.
Naturally, clean your dishwasher.
No need to spend extra money to clean your dishwasher. Look in your pantry and find the following:
- White Vinegar: Use white vinegar to clean the tub of your dishwasher. As mentioned previously, it’s best to use it to clean your tub. You can also try this with lemon juice to remove water spots.
- Rubbing Alcohol: You can use rubbing alcohol to clean the dishwasher exterior. Clean your dishwasher door and handle.
Note: Avoid scrubbing any plastic buttons with acidic natural cleaners like vinegar to break down the material.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda works wonders as a natural cleaning agent.
Are the techniques above not for you? Or maybe you just don’t have the time? Then it may be time to hire Premium Clean, Auckland’s leading cleaning services. They won’t only clean your dishwasher, but your whole home too! For the deep clean that your house most certainly needs.