We have gathered the most effective carpet cleaning hacks from our professional cleaners. And here are the shortlisted hacks that you can follow and save your carpet.
1. How to remove stains with an iron
Since carpets have become a focal point in rooms, stain removal has tested homeowners’ willpower and intelligence. There are several approaches to this issue.
Here is one of the best carpet cleaning hacks you’ll have to know!
- By vacuuming the stained area, you will be able to remove any hard particles, allowing you to focus solely on the stains. Preparation is key when it comes to carpet cleaning.
- Apply a 3:1 mixture of water and vinegar to the spots. Let this mixture sit for a few hours so it can penetrate the stained fabric. Let it sit for five minutes.
- A heated iron should be applied to the stained area after placing a towel on top. Much like a reverse temporary water tattoo, the stain is transferred to the towel with pressure and heat.
2. How to Make a Deep Clean Using a Carpet Cleaner
Even if you don’t own a carpet shampooing machine, you can get all the detergents you want for deep cleaning carpets. But those might not be the best option when you’re trying to lead a healthy, organic life. One of our full-proof carpet cleaning hacks is to DIY your deep clean carpet cleaner.
- Pour one cup of lukewarm water into a cup of 14 teaspoons of translucent liquid dishwashing detergent.
- To clean natural fibre carpets, mix one teaspoon of translucent liquid dishwashing detergent with one cup of lukewarm water.
3. Baking soda removes oil stains
Oil is one of the most difficult substances to remove from carpets, and when carpet cleaning, sometimes you cannot simply douse the stains with hot water and dab them away. Baking soda can save your life and your carpet when it comes to extracting oils from carpets. Simply spread the baking soda liberally on the stained area and allow it to sit for a few minutes until the baking soda absorbs the stain and forms a crust, which you can then vacuum and leave you with a much lighter stain. You can proceed to dab the stain after most of the oil has been absorbed.
4. Carpet cleaning hack 101: Baking soda and pet accidents
We also have to mention, at the risk of sounding like a baking soda endorsement, that baking soda is an effective treatment for housebreaking pets. It is inevitable that accidents happen, and pet owners will agree that animal urine doesn’t go down easily. While there’s the odour and discolouration, liberal amounts of baking soda absorb the smell and allow you to wipe away the remainder. These carpet cleaning hacks can be a lifesaver when you have a very energetic puppy to train to wait for a walk.
5. You can remove nail polish with rubbing alcohol
Although we love our carpet cleaning hacks, a quick disclaimer: applying rubbing alcohol to carpets could damage the dye and cause bleaching, especially if the stain is nail polish. Nevertheless, trust us when we say that clear rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover aren’t even close to strong enough to bleach carpets. Let the nail polish dry before attempting to remove it when carpet cleaning. Then, using a blunt tool, such as a butter knife, chip off as much dried nail polish as you can and gently dab the material with a cloth or paper towel until the nail polish dissolves.
6. Shaving cream gets rid of normal dirt stains
Carpets in lighter colours such as beige, yellow, white, and soft pastels can accumulate dirt patches from high traffic, dust accumulation, or just carelessness. In addition, kids can leave highly visible skid marks and dirt on such carpets, but shaving cream can solve all of those problems. Almost any kind will do, so you can plan your budget accordingly. It can even be an old stain. The main benefit of rubbing shaving cream on the stain and letting it sit in is that the carpet will feel softer to the touch and will have more fluff. It could even be considered an anti-aging product for carpets. This is definitely one of our carpet cleaning hacks.
7. Baking soda can also freshen carpets
Baking soda is technically half what you need when you want to create a light air freshener for your carpet to be used for guests or other more formal occasions. You’ll need a 500g box of baking soda and a bottle of essential oil. If you want an obvious scent, add between 10 and 20 drops and choose something fresh and citrusy. You can sprinkle this mixture over your carpet like you would dust a cake with sugar, and then vacuum it after five to ten minutes.
Here are all the carpet cleaning hacks we have for you. There are so many colours, shapes, sizes, and materials to choose from when buying carpets, so every hack listed here may not be applicable. Before you buy carpets, you should carefully consider what your carpet needs will be. No time to clean carpets? Reach out to Urban Care and let our professional carpet cleaners handle the hard work!